In light of yesterday’s tragic shooting I felt it appropriate to dedicate this Sunday Spotlight to those that lost their lives and those still recovering. A total of 18 people were shot and 6 people lost their lives. Our thoughts and prayers go out to the families of:
- U.S. District Judge John Roll, 63
- Gabe Zimmerman, 30, Giffords’ director of community outreach
- Dorwin Stoddard, 76, a pastor at Mountain Ave. Church of Christ
- Christina Greene, 9, a student at Mesa Verde Elementary
- Dorthy Murray, 76
- Phyllis Scheck, 79
Since Sunday Spotlight is a day where I feature a charity, I searched for any accounts that may have been set up by the family member’s of the victims but I as unable to find anything. I assume it is too early for that sort of information. If you feel inclined to give in honor of those that lost their lives, consider these options:
- The Red Cross in Tucson is in need of blood donations specifically O positive and O negative. Even if you do not live in Tucson, consider giving blood at one of your local donation centers. A small sacrifice on your part may save someone’s life.
- NARSAD: This organization funds research for mental health disorders. Far too little attention is given to mental health disorders in this country. A person that reaches the point of gunning down several people due to differing beliefs is clearly suffering. As a country it is our responsibility to insure that people with severe mental health disorders have proper access to the help they need to prevent tragedies like this from occurring.
Above all else the best way to honor the victims is to come together and not further polarize this situation with political agendas.